Monday, March 12, 2012

Typical Day

Today was a typical day for me.  It went something like this:
  • Arrive one hour before contractual time to conduct a study session with students before they take an exam
  • Teach the normal number of hours of class
  • Do bus duty for 15 minutes  (answering 3 questions about class on my way out)
  • Tutor the student of another teacher after contractual time for 90 minutes
  • Answer students questions online while doing family/household chores off and on throughout the evening.
Tomorrow will be a repeat of today but instead of a study session before school, it will be a meeting about nothing that will improve learning.  The student tutored after school will be one of my own students.  The next day will be another meeting before school followed by another staff meeting after school.  The day after that is a meeting before school and a 2 hour meeting after school with a  project due.  And Friday?  Friday I will come up for air. 

6 comments:

  1. I feel like such a piker. I only stayed after work for an hour to repair some machines. I did come back later for 2-1/2 hours though for my weekly Open Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then we're about even. Word is the bossman is going to increase our hours once our contract expires and the state's law forbidding the bargaining of contractual hours takes effect. I hear it's going to be an extra 90 minutes. If we are required to stay an extra 90 minutes, when will we do all the school stuff we normally do that 90 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any idea what those 90 minutes will be used to do? Grade, copy papers, & plan tomorrow's activities? Check, check, & check...

      Delete
  3. We've heard they will either be lengthening class periods or adding an extra period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least they will require the students to utilize the time as well. I might be a dork but I'm not against a little longer class periods. It's not like my students do much work at home anyhow. They probably don't know why teachers call it homework.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could be correct there! I have 90 minute class periods so I feel I'm good to go on length. What I need is more prep time.

    ReplyDelete