Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Job Hunt

Like most other teachers I know, I keep my eyes peeled for other professional opportunities.  Although this was not my experience a decade ago, nearly everyone I now know in the profession is looking for something else to do.  As such, I get daily emails from monster.com featuring jobs in the field of education (although not necessarily a K-12 teaching).  Yesterday, this one arrived (you can click on it to enlarge): 


Hmm, test scoring?  Is that something I could do?  Sounds a little monotonous but perhaps it wouldn't be too bad.  It is full time, requires a degree, and they are looking for someone bilingual.  I meet those specifications.

Then, I saw the wage.  Seriously?  $13/hour?  Our children are scored on a high stakes test, our teachers salary will soon be determined by said high stakes test, and the person doing the scoring only makes $13/hour?  That's $26,000/year!  And they want you to have a degree and they'd like it if you're bilingual.  According to the U.S. Census Bureau, that wage is less than the poverty threshold for a family of five.  It's a good thing university recruitment posters don't feature these facts.

Get a degree!  Learn a second language!  Live in poverty!  

No comments:

Post a Comment